Filed under: Fair Trade, Garment industry, Gender, International development, Women's rights | Tags: Fair Trade Certified, Fair Trade Certified cotton
Job Opportunity In Fair Trade Cotton Garment Market Development
Wearfair Business Developer
Sumac Community Worker Co-operative (owner and operator of Planet Bean Coffee in Guelph) is developing a new enterprise focused on the development of a wholesale market in Canada for fair trade certified organic garments. Wearfair is a new brand that will be unique in the market in that it will involve cotton farmers and garment workers who are certified fair trade and organic. The project will work to eventually develop an all women value chain in India which will cover off the process from seed to stitch under ethical and ecologically appropriate conditions. Wearfair will import and sell these cotton garments in Canada.
Wearfair is looking for a key person to work with the Sumac team to bring the project forward. The Wearfair Business Developer will:
• participate in the development and then implement a business strategy for Wearfair,
• handle all aspects of sales including processing orders, shipping and invoicing,
• lead the development of a sales strategy for Wearfair,
• participate in the development and implementation of a marketing plan for Wearfair,
• lead the product line development and liaise with our textile manufacturers,
• develop and maintain all business administrative infrastructure for Wearfair including documentation related to fair trade and organic certifications
• represent Wearfair as our lead sales person and account manager
The candidate should:
• have knowledge of the existing ethical/ecological and conventional garment industries in Canada and abroad,
• understand the economics of the garment trade, both the global and Canadian contexts,
• have experience in the wholesale garment trade with knowledge of product costing, evaluation of knit and woven fabrics, garment design and manufacture, fabric dye and colour technologies,
• be literate in design and garment technology trends,
• understand book keeping, financial management, forecasting, and costing,
• understand the forms and functions of social media
• have excellent communication and presentation skills required.
• must have strong problem-solving skills and have an ability to work independently.
The position is an 8 month renewable contract position, approximately 30 hours a week at $17.50/hr. Wearfair is based in Guelph.
Please forward a cover letter and resume to Bill Barrett <email@example.com> by 5 PM March 8, 2010. Please specify “Wearfair Job” in subject line. Only candidates who are selected for interviews will be contacted. Thank you for your interest.
Leave a Comment so far
Leave a comment